After what seemed like a very long time, I finally finished the knitting of Wendy Johnson’s Summer Mystery Shawlette. Because I added 48 stitches to the overall width of the shawl, I had to knit an additional 24 rows of the pattern. After the knitting was finished I had this.
Interesting – um – is there supposed to be a point at the top?
The thing with knitting a shawl is that it doesn’t really make sense to those of us who are logical thinkers because you start with (for me) 289 stitches on your needles and then keep decreasing on both sides until you reach your point – which would seem to result in a triangle going the wrong way.
But I am a trusting (hah!) soul so I move onto the blocking part of this project.
Now here is where I owe a debt of gratitude to KnitPurlGurl. She recently posted about how she had blocked her shawl on her blocking mats and posted a picture showing it blocked this way. http://www.knitpurlgurl.com/2011/06/on-blocking-mats-wycheproof-shawl.html Oooooh. That makes sense. Foam pads are plyable enough to insert the pins in but firm enough to maintain their shape. Cool. But my shawl was finished and I did not have time to order the blocking mats from KnitPicks before the shawl had to be blocked. (That need for immediate gratification and all.) So I started thinking that the blocks looked strangely similar to those alphabet rubber floor pads they make for kids’ rooms. Chip mentioned that Mary had those and that she had purchased them at Ocean State Job Lots – so why not take a look there.
Well, they did not have the floor mats, but they did have basically the same thing in a kid’s floor puzzle – and where the KnitPick’s blocking mats were $20 for 9 blocks, these were $9.00 for 9 blocks of about the same size. Woo Hoo!!!. They only had one package of them so I grabbed it and hoped it would be enough for the shawl. Then at home I just turned them over to the blank green side – laid them out – grabbed my T-pins and voila!!
A blocked shawl!! One of the challenges with blocking a shawl is making that top point go away and become a straight line. Unfortunately none of my knitting shops were open in the beginning of the week so I could not even check with them to see if they had the stainless steel blocking rods to do this so again I was looking for what would do the same thing.
My size 4 and 5 long knitting needles supported by T-pins worked just fine.
So now it is done.
Not sure where the shawl finally ends up. For now, it goes into the Xmas stash. Chip wants me to keep it to wear with my Scottish garb but I wear my plaid draped down my back in the traditional manner and I don’t want to interfere with that look as it is just so lovely.
I used Brown Sheep Nature Spun Fingering yarn for this project in the Ash colorway. I don’t think I would use it again. There just was nothing special about this yarn and I don’t like to feel just okay with the yarn I am using when there are others (like every yarn Araucania makes) that just makes me happy to knit with it. Berroco’s Pure Merino works like that for me too. But I wanted a natural color and I got that with this yarn so no real complaints.
Wendy Johnson – thank you for a lovely pattern and shawl. To see this shawl in just a beautiful brown multi (Araucania) yarn, please look at Danielle’s website – A Work In Progress – which can be accessed on my blog roll. I love how hers came out. Makes mine look so boring.
Now back to working on Chip’s sweater (Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!) I love cables.