As you may recall, in May I had a guest blogger – Jesse – who showed us all how easy it was for an eight year old to knit a hat. Well, this weekend Jesse finished his hat.
Here it is!!
This hat pattern was designed by Kelly McClure of Bohoknits. One of the really cool things for Jesse was that Kelly communicated with him through this process – posting to him words of encouragement and excitement that he just thrives on. One of the things he looked most forward to was telling her when it was finished. His excitement on completing it was evident.
Just look at that smile. He was so proud.
Right after he knit the last round and had pulled the final stitches together to close the top, we jumped in the car and drove up to The Warm Ewe to show Lorraine – the owner.
Lorraine helped Jesse pick out his yarns at the very beginning of the project and told him that the next time she saw him she wanted to see him with his finished hat on his head – even if it was August. Well, we beat August by 2 days and got him there in July. Lorraine yelled with delight when she saw him and his smile got even bigger. Before we left he picked up some Noro yarn to make his next project – a pair of fingerless mitts.
I can’t say enough about what a great pattern this was for him. It was an easy knit but it still allowed him to add new skills to his knitting repetoire. He learned how to cast on stitches, how to add in a different color with the addition of the stripes, how to do a k2tog decrease and how to follow a pattern to do those decreases over 11 rows. He also got more practice on knitting with a circular needle and with double pointed needles (he had used both in knitting Mary’s Fish Hat). He felt confident enough after finishing the hat to take on fingerless mitts even though he knew that they would require double pointed needles throughout.
The main body of the hat is knit using Plymouth Yarn’s Encore Chunky which is an Acrylic/Wool blend. He went with the complementary orange(which is one of his school colors) in Katia’s Peru yarn – another Acrylic/Wool blend, and then we added one of my stash yarns – Tahki’s Soho Bulky Tweed – for the dark blue stripe. The Tahki is 100% wool so I will still hand-wash the hat to make sure it keeps its shape.
Kelly, thank you so much for the design – given away as a free pattern on ravelry and on her blog – and for your support of Jesse in completing his very first project. Kelly added the first two pictures on this blog to the project page for the Wilted Warlock hat in Ravelry. That was a real honor for Jess. He is just so proud that he finished this.
For me, I finished the first pink bunny fur fingerless mitt this week . . .
and completed knitting the back of Chris’s baseball jersey pullover.
Both projects went back into their baskets and the next two projects came out for their turns. Chip’s aran sweater is back on the desk and this time it is staying out until I finish the front. That is going to take awhile. Likewise, Elaine’s Imagine sweater is up – and it is staying up until I get the front completed. I am doing the intarsia peace sign – working with 4 skeins of yarn – so really neither project is a non-thinking project. I don’t think anything will be done by next Monday but who knows.
Okay, I am running off to Court – then to the store to pick up the groceries for this week’s Friday meal – then back here to finish a brief. Have a great day. 🙂