Finally finished the “have to finish before Xmas” hats today. I still may knit one or two more before Xmas but I don’t have to knit them. They are just bonus. Also, I have an idea for how I am going to “wrap” the hats I did knit for gifts, which may use up the time. But that is a different post for a different day.
First up is the Dead Fish Hat.
This is a wildly popular Knitty.com pattern (yes, free, as all Knitty.com patterns are) which is a great way to use up your scrap yarn. This year the Fish Hat is being made for my niece Kaitlyn, who has sensitive skin, so I took all of my softer scrap yarn for the front part of the fish that will have direct contact with her head and then put the scratchier yarn that had the colors she likes in the tail of the fish.
All of my boys thought Kaitlyn would like a Dead Fish Hat. I hope they are right. She has a fun sense of humor so I think she will like it and even wear it.
Then I finally finished Chris’s Star Wars Hat.
Chris is wearing the hat because he was involved in the design of it so he knew it was coming. I wanted it to be a hat he would want to wear so we worked on it together. I did not have a pattern for this hat specifically and pieced it together using two Star Wars charts I found in Ravelry and then knitting a basic hat.
Basically I cast on 100 stitches on size 6 needles using a long tail cast on, knit 7 rows of 2 x 2 ribbing (k2 p2). Switched to stockinette stitch, knitting first row in black, next two rows in alternating black and grey for a border, knit another row in black and then started following the two charts, placing the outline for Darth Vader in the center with a storm trooper to each side. The yarn is Cascade 220, worsted weight.
You can find the Storm Trooper (and several other Star Wars character) chart(s) here: http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/patterns/charts/starwars.htm
You can find the Darth chart here:
Then I knit two rows of black and then started the decreases. The first row was a repetition of k8 k2tog while also alternating grey and black stitches. The next row was knit while also alternating grey and black stitches. The following row was knit in black. After that, I did decreases on alternate rows, always doing a k2tog at the end of each grouping. So the next row was a repetition of k7 k2tog, then a knit row, then a repetition of k6 k2tog, then a knit row, then a repetition of k5 k2tog, and so on. Once I got to k2, k2tog I left out the straight knit row and just kept doing decrease rows until I got to 5 stitches on the needles at which point I pulled the yarn through the remaining stitches and wove the yarn into the hat. Whew! I finally wrote it all out. Not a proper pattern, but enough that a knitter could follow it who has made basic hats.
That’s how the top looks when it is done (a little blurry – sorry).
So that’s the Dead Fish Hat and the Star Wars Hat.
Finally – a moment – to send a heartfelt, tearing, hug to the parents of the children who died last week in Connecticut. I watched our boys in their Xmas pageant in Sunday and thought of those parents who’s kids were supposed to be standing in theirs and were not, and ached for them. There is no greater pain. Please know that it is felt by so many of us with you.