For this week’s scrap project I turned to my bag of leftover bulky yarns. After so much time pressured work to finish Xmas presents during the past two months, I was ready for some mindless knitting. So I decided to make the Sediment Scraps Blanket by Katie Rose Pryal. It is a garter stitch blanket knit on the diagonal and I have a feeling that she was not the first person to write down the pattern for such a thing (since my Mom makes dishcloths the same way), but hers was the one I found right away and she gets the credit from me. This is a finished blanket which she posted on the pattern’s Ravelry page which shows what it can look like. She recommends combining multiple strands of yarn to knit it. I am just using my solid bulky yarns – I have other plans for the other weights of yarn I have. :)
Basically you just start with one stitch. Knit into the front and back (kfb) of that stitch to make two stitches. Then every row thereafter you knit into the front and back of the first stitch of the row – increasing each row by one stitch. It is just back and forth garter stitch. When one side is the width you want, you elongate the blanket by increasing a row of the blanket by one stitch – knitting into the front and back of the first stitch of that row – and then decreasing the next row by one stitch – by doing a knit two together (k2tog) at the beginning of the second row – alternating those rows until your blanket is long enough. Then, of course, when you get it long enough, just knit two together at the beginning of each row until you get back to your one stitch.
Mindless. Easy. Fast because it is bulk weight yarn. Just what I needed so I could relax and just knit.
In the end I will have a blanket that reminds me of past projects. Right now I can see, from the pointed end up, a sweater made for a little girl named Aurora, one Bella Mitten, Jesse’s hat, Jacob’s hat, Vash’s hat, a scarf for Chip (that he doesn’t use but the boys do), Jesse’s hat again and the other Bella Mitten. There are also some short pieces from a couple of other scarfs near the end that are not really noticeable.
And then my bulky weight scrap yarn bag was empty.
I could have started working on a worsted weight scrap yarn project but instead I decided that I wanted to get a jump start on my next project – the socks that I started in November and then had to promptly put down in order to get the holiday knitting done in time. I am knitting the Moody Stockings which I will tell you more about when they are done. For now, I will show you where they are at – well, as of yesterday when I took the photos.
I am using Sanguine Gryphon’s Little Traveler Yarn in the Rojas colorway for these socks. I am also knitting both of the socks at the same time, working off of both ends of the yarn – hence why I kept the skein in a loose hank.
This is a contrast and compare project in that I am knitting one sock using the 2 circular needle method and I am knitting the other using double pointed needles. Right now I am not loving the two circular needle method but I think that is because my circulars are not long enough. I think it would be much easier and faster if I had at least a 16″ length circular – or even a 24″ circular – so I won’t give up on the method quite yet but for this project, the double pointed needles are knitting faster and easier.
I wanted to do this pattern because I like textured socks. I don’t really like lacy socks – holes in socks seems counterintuitive to me. Cables can be too bulky to wear. Textured socks have visual interest while still being comfortable.
And I need a pair of red socks. This is a great red.
So that’s today’s project report. Hopefully I will be able to show you at least one completed sock by next week – if not two. If I can finish a pair of socks in two weeks I will not only be doing the happy dance – I will be AWESOME!!
Just sayin. . . . .
Onward and Upward