As anyone who follows this blog knows, we have a long history with dog rescue. Though we stopped working in rescue about 5 years ago (though I am happy to say that the rescue we founded 11 years ago is still going strong) we are still a definite dog family and our youngest is a beagle person. He just loves beagles!!
This year we both lost our oldest beagle – Lady Bug
And gained three new beagles – Birdie
They came to us from their Mom, my friend Jessica. The girls had all finished their show ring careers (Birdie had won best of opposites in Westminster in (I think) 2006 and Roxy is a grand champion in her own right – and the daughter of Birdie) and it was time for them to get their own boys.
So why am I telling you about our beagles in the Monday Project Report?
Well, Birdie also had a son – Kirby – who is still tearing up the show rings gathering awards and titles and he still lives with Jessica. This is Kirby when he was a puppy.
Not too long ago Jessica told me that she and Kirby were going to take part in a Halloween walk to raise awareness about domestic violence and she wanted him to have a purple costume to wear for it and could I make him a purple vampire cape. I did not have a lot of time to work on it to get it there on time (okay – I thought he needed it a week later than he did and when I found out the date of the walk – and that I had to mail it to arrive before it – I realized it had to be done that day) so it is fairly simple. However this is the only project I completed last week so . . . . . .
So the first thing I needed was a beagle to size it off of. Kirby is bigger than Roxy so we used Birdie as our model.
I just laid the piece of fabric – a great stretch velvet I found in the Halloween fabric section of Joann’s Fabrics – along her back, using the woven edge of the fabric as the end of the cape – and cut a piece of fabric to fit.
Then we took a piece of stiffer black felt and basically wrapped it around her neck to determine the size of the collar and then cut it so it would fold in half with the pointed ends.
Nothing here is being really “finished” – this is only going to be worn once – maybe twice – for less than an hour total so I wasn’t going crazy with this one.
Then I gathered the top of the cape to fit the collar. . . . .
and sewed it onto one end of the collar – this I did seam hoping it would give some lift to the collar.
Then I folded the other end over the seam, sewed it down, and sewed two ties to the neckline to tie under Kirby’s neck, and two ties for around the belly.
Rather than have the ties under the belly drag, I added velcro strips to the ties.
Then came the fun of trying to get a beagle to stand still for a picture – especially when the other girls wanted to know what was going on. After we herded the rest of them into the dining room it got better. . . .
The picture shows the cape before I added the velcro, but you get the idea.
The good news is we got it to Kirby in time for his walk, though I don’t have pictures of Kirby in his cape yet. When I get some I will post them.
This is not meant to be a how-to post – I know this could be made much better. But this is what we do around here. Someone suggests a project and we try to do it. Sometimes it is great – like our orange tornado costume – and sometimes it is just okay – like the doggy cape. But it made Jessica happy, it helped Kirby be purple for his walk and it was pretty inexpensive since I only bought a half yard of fabric, still have most of it left and everything else was in my craft supplies. The boys were instrumental in keeping the beagles steady while I was measuring and fitting and most importantly taking pictures. All of the dogs wanted to get in on the dog treats that we were using to keep Birdie still (Hah!)
Hope you all are having a great October.
Onward and Upward . . . . . . .