So today’s blog is about a “mini” contribution I made to the apartments we are rehabbing. We are at the point where we need to get a certificate of occupancy (a “CO”) on the downstairs apartment so that a friend of ours – who is a contractor (Yay!!!) can move in. Once he is in, we will be able to barter some of the rent against additional work he will do in the apartment to get it to the type of place that a family would like to live in.
That means that the kitchen overhaul is going to wait until after we have a tenant.
The kitchen cabinets and sink are all presently usable and will pass the inspection but there are no cabinet doors under the sink.
Because we want to wait to put in the new cabinets, we decided to just go with a curtain stretched in front of the cabinet – which is acceptable for the CO. So I ran to JoAnn’s (using one of my many coupon/discount offers) and found some kitchen towel fabric and turned it into curtains. The advantage to getting the towel fabric is that it is narrow with woven edges so I would only have to sew the top and bottom – and it looks kitcheney.
It was pretty easy. Chip measured the opening and I cut two pieces of fabric 4 inches longer than length I needed. It was a 24 inch opening so I cut two pieces that were 28 inches in length. I then folded over a half inch on each end and ironed that down.
Okay – quick interruption to tell you that I finally got a new iron!! (I got it in 2015 – before minurism 😉 )
Isn’t it cool?!! I don’t know how long I have gone without a working steam function on my old Hamilton Beach one, but once the heating element just did not want to get hot enough to press my fabric (even using the shot of steam constantly to keep it going) and after enough water had leaked onto my fabric, I finally rationalized getting a new one when JoAnn’s had a 40% off sale on irons. It produces steam, it gets hot AND it even has an automatic cord rewind. This is exciting folks!! Next – a new ironing board cover (Hah!)
Okay – back to the curtains. Next I folded the bottom hem in another one inch and the top casing down two inches.
Then I sewed along the edge of both edges.
Alright – not really obvious what I did so you will just have to take my word that I sewed the edges.
Then Chip brought them up to the apartment and hung them on the tension rod we had put under the sink (and forgot to remove the useless hinges – sigh – that will be done this week) and Voila!!
Kitchen sink curtains. Hmmm – got to paint that baseboard – and maybe shorten the curtains – Chip hung them when I wasn’t there so I better check. We haven’t been up there much this week because of the project I will tell you about tomorrow. So many projects – so little time. . . . .
This reduced our costs since we did not have to replace the doors or install a new kitchen cabinet until we had an income from that apartment in place. And while I did get the fabric, it was a minimal cost in both money and time. Yes folks – minurism at work!!
Today’s bonus picture is actually two. The first is of Vash when he was in kindergarten. The second is his school picture this year – as a 6th grader. It just amazes me how fast he is growing up. My baby boy will be a man before long and it just blows my mind.
Sigh. It is going so fast.
Onward and upward.