A Fun Day with my sister and Mom

Mom is making the rounds of visiting her kids and has been with my sister Danielle for the past week.  Yesterday was the hand-off to me which meant driving the 3 hours to my sister’s house to pick her up.

Ever have one of those days when you just were not destined to arrive on time?

First I lost the car key.  Chip and I searched pockets and shelves and everywhere we could think of that I might have left the key to the car trying to find it.  I knew I had driven the car the day before so it had to be somewhere.  Finally Chip found it – in the ignition in the car with the car still turned on where I had left it – ALL NIGHT!!  Luckily I drive a Prius which turns off the engine when the car is not in use so the battery was okay – but still . . . .

30 minutes late leaving.  Sigh.  Okay.  I turned on my new David Gray CD and relaxed.  I could make up the time driving (grin).

We don’t live in a city so you have to travel alot of rural roads to get to the highway.  First, I got stuck behind a truck pulling some big metal thing at 13 mph.  Why don’t people who are doing that just pull over so you can pass?  He didn’t.  I was stuck behind him for at least 2 miles which felt like sooooo much longer because it took soooo long to drive those two miles.  Finally, I turned, he didn’t.  Hooray!!!!

I got about a quarter of a mile down the road before I was caught behind a pick-up truck loaded with dirt with no tailgate so it was going very slowly down the road.  Another mile of slow going – then he finally turned.

So why didn’t I pass them you might ask.  Because this stuff never happens on the straightaway roads – it is on the roads going up and down hills and curving where you never get a clear view of what is coming in the other lane so you have to rely on the other driver’s courteousness in pulling over to let you pass.  Apparently courtesy was either in short supply on Thursday morning or no one had had their coffee yet.

So back to our trip.  I finally had some clear driving for the next five miles, but I still had a ways to go before I hit the Mass. Pike.  On one clear stretch I saw ahead of me a truck with blinking lights and a car behind it, and then they disappeared over a hill.  By the time I got to the top of the hill, the truck was no longer in sight – having turned at the T intersection at the end of this particular road.  I was going left.  I watched as the car turned right.  Please don’t let the truck have turned left!!!!

The truck turned left.  Here we go again.  At this point you can only laugh or cry.  I laughed.  In the grand scheme of life . . . .

After hitting the Mass Pike I thought I was home free.  Here at least I could pass.  I passed the “Oversize Load” State Trooper assisted caravan and the 5 tractor trailer convoy with ease – but then realized I had to stop and get gas for the rest of the trip when, of course, everything I had just passed passed me.  No problem.  I would just pass them again.  Didn’t go so well the second time.  I made it past the truck convoy but the troopers decided to cautiously switch lanes with the caravan and blocked both lanes of traffic until it moved everything into the other lane.  So there we crawled as the lines of cars just built up waiting to be able to pass.  By now I am not even looking at how late I am running.  What’s the point?  I can’t get there any faster than I am going to get there.  I put in the second David Gray CD.

Once I cleared the caravan, however, things went great and I just drove.  Amazingly, by the time I hit Interstate 495 I had regained all of the time I lost behind cars and was only running the 30 minutes late that it took me to find the keys.  Woo Hoo!! – And then came the construction on 495.  Sigh.

Luckily I was saved by Stevie Nicks!  Well, not literally, but I had put in her Bella Donna CD, had the windows open and the music playing and I spent the time singing “Edge of 17” and the rest of the CD happily along with her.  (I had to call my husband and tell him I love him after singing Leather and Lace.  It was our wedding song.)  Hopefully all those other cars had working air conditioning and were able to keep their windows rolled up so they did not have to listen to me – as happy singing is kinda loud.

I finally arrived – 45 minutes late – and the yarn party began.

I had brought up the first – well – 7 months of Danielle’s Yarn of the Month Club Christmas present (we threw in July a little early).  So she remembers (because it was alot of yarn), the months were as follows:

January – Warm Ewe annual sale yarn – which was enough sock yarn for 5 pairs of socks, including the bright Noro yarn.

February – deep red yarn for the Juneberry Shawl

March – the wonderful Berroco Borealis yarn for the Gaptastic Cowl (which is just going to make that pattern fantastic!!!)

April – the beigey grey yarn for the Tam.

May – the Araucania Aysen – 10 skein bag because it could be anything wonderful!!!

June – by now she needs more sock yarn for the second half of the year so that is all the glitter sock yarn, the Misti Alpaca and the Noro King sock yarns.

July – the gorgeous Mirasol Nuna yarn in charcoal grey for the Corinne cardigan sweater.

We also were able to see our Summer Mystery Shawls together.  I had added 48 stitches to the width of mine and she had used a smaller needle to make sure she had enough yarn to complete the project, which resulted in appropriately little sister and big sister shawls.

Yarn is so much fun.  After our yarn party, we went up to Portsmouth, New Hampshire to eat lunch and check out the shops.  We ate at a great organic flatbread pizza place that just had the best feel to it.

Then, while looking in some gifty shops, I recognized a couple of knit dead fish hats on a shelf.  We started talking with the girl who made them, who, of course, was on Ravelry and we started talking patterns and projects and designers.  She liked Rebecca Dangerfield and showed off photos of the Monster dolls she had made.  They were great.

We couldn’t leave Portsmouth without checking out . . .

the local yarn store.

It was cute but small.  Of course I found yarns I would like (they had some beautiful cashmere, and a rayon blend that would have made a wonderful shawl) but I was good and did not buy any.  I knew I had more than enough at home for any project I had planned.  I felt that leaving that store without buying anything was a real accomplishment for me.  However, if Little Knits gets some more Jojoland Melody yarn in again like I saw at that shop, I may have to get some!!

Then we went and picked up my wonderful nephew Emmet – who is getting so big and so much more like a boy than a baby.  He showed me through his school and then we went home to check out his toys.  He got a Bat Cave for his birthday to which we added a Batmobile and Riddler car to his set.

Emmet also has the world’s coolest pirate ship sand box that he showed me too.

Finally, it was time for Emmet to say good-bye to Grandma and for us to leave.

It was just great to spend a day with Mom and Danielle and Emmet.


About Shelly R.

I am a Mother, a daughter, a sister, a wife, an attorney, a crafter and the granddaughter of an amazing woman - my Polish Grandmother. My Grandmother gave me so much, through her love and her patience, her sayings and her time teaching me how to craft and to give to others, that it seemed fitting to share some of that wisdom, to tell some of her story, and to chat about life and crafts in a way that would be a testament to what she gave me.
This entry was posted in Family, yarn and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to A Fun Day with my sister and Mom

  1. danielle says:

    LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! (Is mom still sleeping?) And thanks for actually writing down my projects and reminding me which months were what. I’m going to be a VERY busy knitter now. I had such a great time yesterday, and I’m so happy you had fun too! I can’t thank you enough for EVERYTHING. I am so happy. LOVE YOU!

  2. Shelly R. says:

    Love you too (like there was any question about that). That was a FUN day.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s